The Lewes Historical Society unveiled a new temporary exhibit April 25 at the Lewes History Museum. “Pilots of the Bay & River Delaware” highlights lives and accomplishments of pilots who’ve worked in the Delaware River and Delaware Bay for the last century.
From historic photos and paintings to an 1872 slip with port rates, the exhibit offers myriad windows into pilot life. The centerpiece of the exhibit is an engraved silver tureen with ladle that commemorates the change from sail to steam in pilot services at the Capes of Delaware.
The exhibit will be open during regular operating hours until Aug. 26. The Lewes History Museum is open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free.
For more information about the Lewes History Museum or the historical society, go to www.historiclewes.org.